Saturday, December 13, 2008

Different Thoughts on Diet

This past year or so has been a great journey for me. I have tried a lot of "diets" on faith giving them my best shot. What I have found is that the hard and fast rule is "IF it comes in a package, don't buy or eat it." The list of not so fun things that I have found in the food that I used to eat is enormous.

HFCS- High Fructose Corn Syrup: I found out the truth of this health bugger really quickly. All I did was a simple test. I used to eat this really nasty cardboard like 1 pt. bread and it had HFCS in it. I simply ate 1 pt. bread without it and found that I felt full, where when I ate HFCS I was hungry and had to eat more. I did the same thing with a ketchup with it and a ketchup without, I had the same result, the HFCS made me want to eat more. So upon finding out for myself, this interesting bit of info. I found many articles that substantiated what I had read about it briefly in the book "You, On A Diet." A really good article on this is found on Dr. Mercola's website. Here is a link.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/04/10/corn-fat.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/07/10/how-high-fructose-corn-syrup-damages-your-body.aspx

"DIEt" Softdrinks: All I had to know about this is that diet softdrinks have an expiration date because after so long the artificial sugar in them breaks down into formaldehyde. I got out some "diet" coke that I had been keeping for a while to use in a pulled pork recipe and found that the cans were deformed and when I opened them they emitted a weird smell. So here is a link to some information on diet softdrinks, I think everyone should know about this.

(The lead article on this is an interesting way to kill mice and rats, but the rest of the information is so true and so scary).

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/05/13/how-to-use-soft-drinks-to-kill-mice-and-rats.aspx


Next I had a "fun" time figuring out the different way's that Sugar affects the body, I am absolutely convinced that it will wreak havoc on any weight loss that you are trying to achieve, plus it wreaks havoc on your energy levels as well. How did I find out for myself the devestating affects of sugar. Here is what I did...

I went on Dr. Mercola's diet, more or less as strick as possible for about a week and a half. I had been on a very low sugar diet before that (I think Dr. Mercola's diet is a bit to extreme and strict but I will write on that a bit futher on). So the day before Easter I thought that since I hadn't had any sugar for a while it couldn't hurt to eat just a few pieces of candy. So I popped TWO, only two pieces of sugar coated chocolate into my mouth and went upstairs to bed. Almost immediately my heart started racing, I started to shake, I got a terrible headache so I thought if I go downstairs and get a drink of water that would help. So I stood up and shakily made my way downstairs. At the bottom of the stairs I fell down, I got up and made my way to the kitchen and got a drink of water. Needless to say, it made me freak out about the candy I had ate and so I went around picking them all up and I replaced them with chocolate candies covered in natural candy dyes. Of course this is the hardest rule to live with since sugar is so prevalant in our society. So I have found the best ways to have some sugar and I really am not tempted at all by tray's of candy or too many sweets because I just feel sick, sick, sick when I eat too much sugar.

SO here is a link to an article on the dangers of sugar.

http://www.mercola.com/article/sugar/dangers_of_sugar.htm

I have a review that I did on Dr. Mercola's Diet and The Body Ecology Diet both are really well thought out and both have a lot of merit. I have found that I cannot "DO" just one thing and it is better for me to find what works from whatever I read and to try not to worry about the rest.
I will try to figure out how to post this information because it is a condensed and organized version of these diets. I also like Jordan Ruebans "Perfect Weight America" book and website, in fact he has a great mealplanner. Type in Perfect Weight America for the link.

Another great resource for information that has made a lot of sense to me it the Weston A. Price foundation. I will post more on this foundation later as I have been guided quite a bit by this info. Anyone who know's me and where I live already (since I don't want to put it on the internet) should check out Real Foods Market, call me for directions to the store.

To your good health...

~Strawberry Girl

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...